How To Use This Site
Reporting / Listing the Found Article or Pet
Whether you have lost or found an article or pet, The Internet Lost and Found provides a database to search for the owner or finder. In either case, you will first need select your country from the drop down at the top of the page, labeled Select Your Country. The URL LostandFound.com defaults to the United Sates.
To report / list the found property or pet, you will need to click on the 2nd icon from the bottom left of your country's homepage labeled, Report Found Item This will enter your information into our Found Database to be viewed by potential owners of the lost property. It is imperative that accurate and relevant information is reported in your submission.
Please note that we recommend omitting one important, but not obvious characteristic about the found property or pet to help ensure the correct owner is identified. When someone contacts you about your found ad, this omission will help you identify the true owner, and avoid scam artists. For pets, we recommend that you not reveal the gender. While we ask for gender on our website, and it is used for our matching service, it is not revealed to users.
To enter your information, please do the following:
Submit Contact Information
Submit Found Property or Pet Information
- Submit your password. The password is any number or letters, or combination thereof that will allow you to edit or delete your entry later. It is in no way related to any personal password or pin that you may have.
Submit Location Information
- Category / Subcategory - Choose the category and subcategory description that best fits the found property or pet. If you are not sure which category or subcategory to choose, please look at our list, and/or search the database to see what other people have selected for a similar object.
- Title - Put a short, generic description of the lost article or pet here. DO NOT USE AMBIGUOUS TERMS! (Words like nice, sweet, loving, cute, etc. have no relevant meaning - and will not be useful for searchers! These words are opinions and not facts) For pets we suggest putting the color and breed if known in this area. Do not put the name of the pet here - again it won't mean anything to the searcher. For found articles we suggest putting the color, brand and/or type of item, i.e. black cd player. Remember that this line will be seen by searchers on the Results Page, so a short, succinct explanation is best.
- Specific Description - enter any and all information that describes the lost article or pet. Characteristics that may differentiate this item / pet from others are particularly helpful. Size, shape, weight, contents, type of material, appearance, should all be considered when filling out this field. If you think it is helpful, you can put the name of the pet here.
- Brand - enter the brand of the item in this field. If unknown, please put unknown. Brand will be required for all categories except Animals.
- Model - enter the item's model number if known. Animals are omitted from this requirement.
- Serial # / ID # / Baggage Claim# - enter any identification number associated with this item. For lost baggage, enter your baggage id # if known. Again, Animals are omitted from this field.
- Primary Breed - For Animals Only. Enter the dominant breed that the animal appears to be. If not known, select unknown, if a mixed breed, select mixed. For help discerning breed please check out http://www.specificbreeds.com
- Secondary Breed - For Animals Only. Enter another relevant breed that the animal appears to be. If mixed selected for Primary, enter here the next logical breed type that the animal appears to be. For help discerning breed please check out http://www.specificbreeds.com
- Gender - For Animals Only - Put the gender of the found animal here.
- Primary Color - enter the dominant color of the article / pet here
- Secondary Color - enter the next dominant color of the article / pet here.
- Date - Select the date item / pet was found.
- Location Type - select a location type for where the article / pet was found if known. If unknown, or not applicable, select n/a.
- City - enter the city or town where the item / pet was found
- State - enter the state where the item / pet was found
- Zip - enter the zip code of where you found the item. This is very important. Even if you do not know the specific zip of the area that you found the article / pet, a town zip code will do. Use the zip code look up if you are unsure of the zip code. For any other questions or concerns, please email our customer service area.